Why do Thai people do this?
You know I love living in Thailand, sure is far from perfect but it beats living back in the west. Though every day there is something that kinda annoys me. Sure there are things that annoy me back in the west but it's these little things that just gripe me. Most of the things i'm talking about arn't anything to do with the infrastructure or government in Thailand. Honestly I don't care about those things anymore because there's really very little I can do about it anyway. But what I'm talking about here is how Thai people interact with me almost on a daily basis.
The following is a list of things that annoy me about Thai people and how they interact with me and things that they do to piss me off. I guess I am complaining a little bit and well that's what this post is about. Why do Thai people do this?
1. When I ask a waiter a question let's say I ask for an itemized bill (I ask this a lot because I'm a numbers freak and want to know the cost of everything) and the waiter will turn to the Thai person nearest me and reply "what do you want the bill for?". I asked the question and if you have a question about what I asked why would you turn to the Thai person next to me and question what I've said? I mean it's not like that they don't understand the words I'm saying. This shit really annoys the hell out of me because mostly the person I'm with has no idea what I asked for in the first place so why would you turn and ask them a question. Can you imagine how disrespectful that would be if I was a Thai person who asked a question to the waiter and the waiter (male) turned to my girlfriend and asked "why does he want the bill for?".
2. When I pay for something they give the change to my girlfriend! OMG this annoys the hell out of me because once she gets the change it never comes back to me lol. But seriously I'll go get gas doubling a girl on the back and the attendant always hits me up to pay but then hands the money to the person I'm with. Why do they do this? It's a complete mystery to me. Maybe they think she's too thin and needs the change to buy some chocolates or something I dunno, but I do know they don't do this to Thai people. Whoever pays they get the change.
3. When taking the order they never ask me but always hands me the bill. Your probably thinking i'm overreacting on this one but really it is annoying especially when you speak Thai as well as I do. See in Thailand when you go to a restaurant it's the guy who typically orders not the woman. If it's a family it's normally the woman that pays. So you can see no matter how much you want to assymilate into the country they will forever treat you differently.
4. You start talking Thai to someone and they speak English back to you. This would have to be the most annoying of all the things that Thai people do that annoy the hell out of me. I get this mostly if I go somewhere and the person doesn't know me. But either way even if they don't know who I am as soon as I start talking there English should cease especially since it's rare that I'll meet any Thai person that speaks English better than I speak Thai. I've tried all things to stop this from annoying me and I don't know why it bothers me it just does. Things I've done are: Tried speaking English back to them but then they don't understand so i'll have to keep repeating myself, then revert to Thai and then they continue speaking English OMG how annoying! I've continued to speak Thai they speak English. The only thing that seems to work for me lately is instead of saying anything ask the person if they speak Thai. "khun phoot pasah thai ben mai". This is the only way I can stop this from ever annoying me. It sounds rather obnoxious to ask though the fact that they are assuming I speak english is just as much. Asking a Thai person if they speak Thai the answer you get will always be in Thai thus starts the dialogue in a language we both understand and won't have any problems from there on out. Yes I'm over reacting but it's better than a conversation in broken English when I speak Thai perfectly fine.
5. Your waiting in line and someone who came after you will get served first. If I had a dollar for every time someone did this to me I'd have a lot of dollars lol. Fact is Thai people don't seem to care about who comes first in line. Even servers say the clerk at 7 eleven don't care who ever says they want something in there face will serve them first knowing full well that you've been in line waiting. If you had someone push in line in the US or Australia that person would get knocked out unless they complied and went back to the end of the line. But it's that whole selfish attitude that Thai's seem to have is why you can just cut in front of lines, don't think it's true? Then ask yourself this, when was the last time you saw a car pull to the side when an ambulance came blaring down the street? hmmmm
Now if I complained about this list to Thai people they would immediately tell me I don't understand their culture, that things here are different than my own country. Bullshit. All these gripes I have in this article are never witnessed by Thai people, it's only Thai people acting like this to me because I'm a farang. Maybe the pushing in line thing is the only cultural thing here and even Thai people would say it's rude but probably do it all the time all the same.
As much as these things tick me off I don't let it get to me too much so if you feel the same just let it go, can't change the way Thai people are it's just how they are. Always ask a Thai person if they speak Thai before engaging in a conversation and walk right up to the teller in the bank to make a deposit withough getting a cue card. We're in Thailand after all.
Anything gripe you about Thai's or wonder why they do the things they do let us know by commenting below.