Being Thai means never having to say I’m Sorry
Behind the smiles and wonder that is Thailand, there is an unknown Thailand that tourists are unaware of. Tourists to Thailand may think that Thais are very warm conciderate, patient and understanding people. The truth however could be further from the truth, Thai's in the most sence are impolite, do not care for others and lie blatenly to ones face.
Some of you might think i'm being harsh or just judgemental because Thai's do things not the way we do things. I have no patience for people who criticize me for criticizing Thai's. I'm just simply stating the truth and fact, that most Thai's care more about themselves then they do other people, don't believe me i'll give you some examples:
- You'll never see a Thai person pull over to allow an ambulance pass.
- Thai people will never say they want the job, they'll simply say that they want to start but never show up ( don't give me bull about saving face either because the fact is this is inconciderate of other people and if they are saving face again they are not showing respect for employers thus another example of being inconciderate).
- Thai people will cut in line at any chance they can, they do not care, it's in fact impolite in Thai society and culture yet they all do it.
- Thai's will play load music till the early morning.
- Lieing is against Thai culture and manners as well as buddhist teachings, yet i live here every day and see people lieing to me and more so to other thai's all the time, way more than western people lie.
Apart from this list of examples the main thing that super annoys me about Thai people is their ability to accept responsibility as well as being able to apologize. Actually the word apologize in Thai literally translated means "please forgive me". I have no idea why thai people can't apologize for their actions but they seem to be incapable of it. Being Thai it seems never having to say your sorry, no matter how much damage has been done.
If you live in Thailand or are moving to Thailand, forget what all people tell you about Thai customs, raising your hands to greet someone other strange manners and customs just think about what being polite back home means and simply do the opposite, cut corners, cut in front of people in lines, on the road, don't run to help anyone, basically don't care about anyone around you and you'll fit right into Thailand, and what ever you do, no matter how wrong or what you've done wrong, Never say your sorry!
One final note I might add though exceptions to these rules, if for any reason you are in some sort of problem and the police get involved, say your sorry a billion times no matter how right you are, by simply saying your sorry in this situation gets you a long way because it's totally unexpected.