Fraudsters in Chiang Mai
Lots of guys live off of the hustle especially here in Thailand, money is hard to make in this country especially without a large investment and even then you risk losing the lot. Normally I have no problem with what people do, you've made someone a mark and they've fallen for it then honestly can't really blame you for scamming them. But insurance fraud is like the lowest of the lows and causes me to pay more for insurance than i need to.
You might think Fraud is a victimless crime but it isn't. Scamming the insurance companies is something I hate with a passion. My first experience of it was when a mate got into a car accident cause some guy wanted a payout for whiplash he really didn't have. This was more than 20 years ago now you probably know this scam yourself but in Thailand they have a different scam.
Someone stole my electronics scam
The scam is mostly done by people from the middle east or europe and often involves a girl it's almost always done by a tourist and not an expat.
How the scam works
- Buy insurance that covers laptops and cameras like Glover Howe but your credit card or travel insurance may also cover this
- Travel to Thailand and stay at a cheap ass guesthouse that has no security
- Contact the police to say items have been stolen
- Thai police give you an official police report to confirm the goods have been stolen
- Take the Official Document to the insurance company and lodge your claims along with the serial numbers of the items you lost
- Because the Thai police have given you a police report and you have the serial numbers the insurance company has no choice but to pay out
- Bingo you just got a free trip to Thailand
Don't do this Scam!
The only way you can actually get away with this scam is if you are lucky enough get assigned a complete idiot to look at your case. I could tell you how to get away with it but I'm not going to because the people who do this are hurting Thailand by saying to the world come to Thailand and get robbed. Not all those robberies in the News are real, many of them are fake.
Thailand and especially the Thai police hate this scam with a passion probably second to the ATM swipers. Take a look at the photo above of these two fools from Israel in Chiang Mai trying to put one over the TPD.
They contact the police to report a robbery, the police rock up and say OK we just have to check the room and they are like "why do you need to check the room for?" dead giveaway. Took the police like 5 seconds to find the camera they say was stolen. Their excuse "oh someone has moved it to the back of the draw and covered it with socks". Judge didn't buy it, they will spend the next month in jail! Apparently the girl went hysterical and protested because she can't sleep on the floor.
In the end if you're going to do a scam do it right or face the consequences.